2016 PEEL police effectiveness inspection
Published: March 2017
As part of our annual inspections of police effectiveness, efficiency and legitimacy (PEEL), HMIC assessed how effective the force is at keeping people safe and reducing crime. This inspection focused on five areas of policing:
- How effective is the force at preventing crime, tackling anti-social behaviour and keeping people safe?
- How effective is the force at investigating crime and reducing re-offending?
- How effective is the force at protecting those who are vulnerable from harm, and supporting victims?
- How effective is the force at tackling serious and organised crime?
- How effective are the force’s specialist capabilities?
The effectiveness assessment follows on from reports on efficiency and legitimacy in autumn 2016, which together make up the three pillars of the annual PEEL assessment.