2017 PEEL police effectiveness inspection
As part of our annual inspections of police effectiveness, efficiency and legitimacy (PEEL), HMICFRS assessed how effective police forces are at keeping people safe and reducing crime. This inspection focused on five areas of policing:
- How effective are police forces at preventing crime, tackling anti-social behaviour and keeping people safe?
- How effective are forces at investigating crime and reducing re-offending?
- How effective are forces at protecting those who are vulnerable from harm, and supporting victims?
- How effective are forces at tackling serious and organised crime?
- How effective are the forces’ specialist capabilities?
This report presents a national overview of themes identified in inspections of all 43 police forces in England and Wales. The national overview report is accompanied by separate reports on each force, based on inspections carried out from September to November 2017, and data provided by forces.
The effectiveness assessment follows on from reports on efficiency and legitimacy in 2017, which together make up the three pillars of the annual PEEL assessment.